Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ya'll betta listen to Ms. Celie


I watched The Color Purple with my homegirl about 2 weeks ago. We sipped champagne, ate fruit and cried like babies for 2.5 hrs straight!!!

The COLOR PURPLE was and still is one of the most inspirational movies ever written. I love that movie. It always seems to be talking directly to me. Every time I watch this movie, I see something new.

Here is my favorite quote from the ENTIRE movie and I feel as if it's just as prevalent today as it was in the time period this movie was set. When Sophia (Oprah) says to Ms. Celie (Whoopi), "All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my uncles. I had to fight my brothers. A girl child ain't safe in a family of men, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!


I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me!"

Now that was a statement for you a%^. Damn!

Now I really did want Ms. Celie to stab Mr @ the Xmas dinner table but what she said and did was more powerful than taking that clowns' life:

Shug: [after telling Albert that she and her husband are leaving] Celie is coming with us.
Albert: What?
Shug: Celie is coming with us to Memphis.
Albert: Over my dead body.
Shug: You satisfied? That what you want?
Albert: [to Celie] NOW What's wrong with you?
Celie: You a low down dirty dog, that's what's wrong. Time for me to get away from you, and enter into Creation. And your dead body'd be just the welcome mat I need.
Old Mr.: Boy, you goin' let this ol' nappy-headed girl cuss you out like that? You sittin' at the head of your own dinner table and actin' like a waiter.
Celie: [lunging at Mr with a knife] I could kill you. Until you do right by me everything you think about is gonna crumble!
Sofia: Don't do it Mrs. Celie. Don't trade places with what I been through.
Shug: Come on Mrs. Celie let's go to the car.
Sofia: He ain't worth it, he ain't worth it.
Albert: Who you think you is? You can curse nobody. Look at you. Your black, your poor, your ugly, your a woman, your nothing at all!




This line always strikes a chord with me, it seems to speak to all black women that have been verbally abused and put down by their own folks, hell by their own men.


Celie: Until you do right by me, everything you even think about gonna fail!
Sofia: Look like I came back just in time.
Old Mr.: Well we need some stability around here.
Albert: I shoulda locked you up. Just let you out to work.
Celie: The jail you plan for me is the one you gonna rot in!
Albert: I'ma knock you under... [Celie holds up the sign of a HEX]
Celie: Everything you done to me, you already under you. [Celie gets in car]
Celie: I'm poor, black, I may even be ugly, but dear God I'm here, I'm here!

I think I may have a few of my peeps ovah this weekend to watch this again and of course have a few dranks.

This movie inspires me. To not be afraid to take chances. Try new ventures. Do the research, lay the groundwork and there is nothing you can't accomplish. Get out there and do what you do.

I say this all the time, "When you know better, You do better". Keep on doing you, to the best of your abilities.

And lastly, the quote that best describes the Drive, Motivation and Determination you need to succeed, in the words of a

Young Nettie: Nothing but death can keep me from it.




Now that's some REAL Talk!

1 comment:

Kei-Kei said...

You are right! I have made a renewed declaration to be the best me that I can be in 2007. I constantly asked God to renew that zeal in me.

Today, we wear more hats than our male counterparts. We are providers, wives, mothers, housekeepers, mentors, devoted friends and the list goes on. There comes a time when we have to stop being everything to everybody and start being somebody to ourselves. That time is now!

I've already started. I'm taking my test for PHR certification (Professional in Human Resources) next on January 31st. Please pray for me! I have also started to eat healthier so that I can continue to be healthy and live longer. Ladies, how about you?